O_o

O_o

Thursday, June 27, 2013

My Beef with "Kid" Shows....

As a parent of 2 small children, well I still consider 11 to be small....ANYWHO....I am kind of worried about the direction of the "kid" shows these days. I put kid in quotes as I wonder how they are kid appropriate. Ok yes some teach great educational values and morals....but at what cost? In this blogtastic blog I will be pointing out some of my son's (and daughter's) favorite cartoons/shows.

Let's get started....

Dora the Explorer

Cute little Spanish girl from (I think) Mexico (don't quote me on that) romping around with her friends solving problems while teaching the Spanish language. Seems innocent enough right? Well, let's look deeper into this cute and innocent cartoon shall we?? She is unsupervised, going through the jungle, with talking animal friends. Encounters "dangerous situations" with a talking Mary Poppins style backpack and talking map (who I might add has a very annoying voice). Ok yeah it teaches the random Spanish word here and there...but it also teaches that it is ok to romp around by yourself while talking to animals. Hmm....yeah....OOOOOoookk!! NEXT!

Spongebob Squarepants.....

This show is just NOT suitable for kids at all. So many hidden innuendos. I mean come on, they had a whole episode about "bad words" where it make a random sound any time anyone said one of these words. Another where they go on a "panty raid" (and explain what that is). I am getting a headache just thinking about that annoying "sponge".

Sanjay and Craig....

This is a newer cartoon...it is a boy with a talking snake. The kid constantly is trying to "woo" this girl by doing stupid, idiotic things. To be honest, I do not fully understand this one.... (my nephew watches it...)

Ni Hao Ki Lan

Teaches Japanese? Chinese? IDK some Oriental language. Better than Dora...but still not that great. In this show they teach the lesson by one of them throwing a hissy fit and pouting. Ummm...I'll PASS!

Yo Gabba Gabba, that one with the dancing dildo....ok maybe not a dildo...but he looks like one hahaha....yeah we just avoid that, unless they want to share whatever it is that they are smoking. That must be some high quality, ermm, stuff.

All these shows are on Nickelodeon. I am more prone to the Disney channel bc it is more wholesome.

Oh and Sesame Street....I stopped watching then when they showed Snuffy's whole body. Traumatized me yo...

So what cartoons do I approve of??? Well...I plan on introducing my son to older cartoons. Yeah they have cross dressing rabbits, frying pans to cat's faces and a coyote that constantly blows himself up....but that is classic fun....*giggles*

(Oh and VeggieTales.....and Happy Feet...I love that movie)

No comments:

Post a Comment